Home > 

Frequently Asked Questions



I'm a new payroll rep in my department; can you add my name on your payroll rep email list?

If you are a new payroll rep or administrator or hold another position involved in the payroll process, you should email the following information:

- Employee Name
- Title
- Department
- Campus Phone & Address
to DL-BF Payroll Help.

New Hires

What paperwork needs to be submitted in order for a new employee to be paid?

Click here for the New Hire Packets that indicates by category of employee, the forms necessary for adding an employee to the payroll system.


What paperwork needs to be submitted when an employee terminates employment?

A "Notice of Separation" form should be attached to the UMB Employee Pre-print and sent to HR Service Center.  If applicable, a "Notice of Termination of Health Benefits" form should be sent to HR-Benefits.

For hourly employees, please be sure not to delete the employee too soon since there is a full pay period lag between pay period worked and pay date.

Payroll Advances

When can I request a payroll advance?

Payroll advances are used when the paperwork for an employee is received by USM too late for processing so an employee does not receive a paycheck through the normal process.The form "Request for Payroll Advance Check" must be submitted to FS-Payroll no later than Monday at noon following the payday. A "Payroll Adjustment Form" must be attached to the form as evidence that wages are due to the employee so that the wages can be recovered on the next payday.

Typically payroll advances are done for new employees (at 50% of the gross wages due) but can be used if an employee did not receive a paycheck in error (the amount can be based on what the employee's net pay usually is).

Payroll Transfers

What is the difference between a Budget Retro Process (BR) and Direct Retro Process (DR)?

Budget Retro Process (BR) - This process is run each weeknight to redistribute actual payroll expenses to the HRMS account codes cited on a retroactive Employee Funding Profile (EFP). An EFP is considered retroactive if it affects actual expenses that have already been distributed. Budget Retro Distributions are triggered when an EFP is created with a funding begin date less than the pay period end date of the last pay period processed for your employee. The system calculates the difference between what was already distributed and the new distribution and creates the adjustment.

Direct Retro Process (DR) - This process is run each weeknight to redistribute payroll expenses when the using of Budget Retro (BR) process is not an option. To use DR, departments will complete and submit a Direct Retro Request Form to Cost Analysis and Studies for processing. The form can be found at the FS-Payroll website http://www.fincsvc.umaryland.edu/payroll.

The BR and DR deadlines are posted on the payroll calendar published on the FS-Payroll website.

Foreign Nationals


When do we need to file W-9?

If an employee has a "Green Card" (Permanent Resident) or meets the "Substantial Presence" test (Resident Alien) he/she needs to file a W-9. It is filed with the Glacier Tax Summary Report and W-4. A permanent resident files these forms once. A resident alien files these forms annually.


What is a treaty?

A tax treaty is an agreement between the U.S. and certain foreign countries that offers a reduced rate of, or possibly a complete exemption from, U.S. federal income tax for residents of those particular countries to avoid "double taxation" of income. The reduced rates and exemptions vary among countries and types of visas (there are differences in length of time and maximum income).

Who do treaties apply to?

Treaties apply to non-resident aliens who meet precise qualifications and residency requirements defined in the treaty articles text. It is not automatic- the appropriate tax forms must be filed in a timely manner.

For more information on tax treaties, click here for IRS Publication 901- U.S. Tax Treaties (4/01).



New Hires

What forms am I required to complete so I can get paid?

The following forms must be completed in order to enter an employee in our payroll system:

  • W-4/MW 507- Employee Withholding Allowance

  • I-9- Employment Eligibility Verification

  • Direct Deposit Enrollment or Exemption

  • UMB Policy Acknowledgements

  • Personnel Supplemental Data Information

  • Retirement Selection forms (if eligible)

  • Certification of Receipt of Benefits (if eligible)

  • Department of Defense Reporting Requirements

  • HIPAA and The Privacy Regulation for UMB Personnel

  • Employee Health & Safety Questionnaire

  • Social Security Card

These forms are available at the Human Resources website:

How long does it take for me to get my first paycheck?

The date your paperwork is completed and processed and the day in the payroll cycle you begin your employment at UMB primarily determines the exact date you receive your first paycheck. By working with your payroll rep to assure your paperwork is timely and accurate, you should have your first paycheck no later than the second payday after your hire date.

Tax Forms

Why was my W-4/MW 507 rejected?

A W-4 will be rejected for any of the following reasons:

  • It is not completed using black ink.

  • It has crossed out information or "white out" on it.

  • It is missing information such as County or marital status.

Click here for detailed instructions on completing this form.

If my W-4/MW 507 was rejected, why are taxes coming out of my paycheck?

According to government regulations, in the absence of a valid W-4/MW 507, taxes will be withheld on the basis of "Single" status with 0 (zero) exemptions. When a valid form is filed, the appropriate taxes will be withheld from that point forward but no adjustment will be made for taxes previously withheld.

When do I get my annual W-2?

As required by law, W-2's are sent by January 31st of the following year for which it applies. UMB does not issue W-2's. They are issued and sent by the Maryland State Central Payroll Bureau (CPB). If you have not received your W-2 by February 1st you must call CPB at 410-260-7965.

Direct Deposit

How long does it take for my direct deposit to start?

Once an employee is in the payroll system (it can take new employees 2-3 pay periods to be "in the system") it will take 2 more pay periods for direct deposit to begin. A "pre-note" is done which is a test of the bank routing and account number. If the bank does not reject the pre-note then the direct deposit will begin next pay period.

How long does it take for my direct deposit to stop?

A direct deposit will stop within 21 days of filing the form with Central Payroll Bureau. You will begin receiving a regular paycheck when direct deposit has stopped. Do NOT close your bank account until you have received your first regular paycheck. If you close your account and a direct deposit is attempted, you will delay the receipt of your wages.

Personal Changes

I was recently married/divorced- how do I change my name on my paycheck?

The IRS requires that we use the name per the employee's Social Security records. Therefore, the only valid documentation that we will accept for proof of a name change for payroll purposes is the Social Security card.

I recently moved- how do I change my address on my paycheck?

The "Payroll Address Form" must be completed and submitted to your payroll rep. The form will be forwarded through the proper channels to Central Payroll Bureau where the change will be made. Employee's address can also be updated through the CPB Online Payroll Service Center (POSC) at https://interactive.marylandtaxes.com/Extranet/cpb/POSC/User/Start.aspx.

Foreign Nationals

What is the difference between forms W-2 and 1042-S?

The IRS form W-2 is used to report annual taxable federal and state wages. Treaties for non-resident aliens (NRA) may exempt the employee from federal taxes but not from Maryland state taxes so a W-2 is used for annual state income tax filing. If you are a NRA and are exempt from federal taxes, then you will receive a form 1042-S. Both forms are used to complete the annual 1040NR. For additional information- click here for IRS Publication 519- U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens (2001).